Hola Chicas!

Welcome to my beauty blog! This is an interactive blog so please leave comments.

You can contact me directly with questions, suggestions for the blog, service inquiries via email at beautybyvirtue@gmail.com

Thanks for reading & please become a follower of this blog. :-)

Saturday, January 16, 2010

How I Got Started as a MUA

Hola Chicas! This is my first blog entry and I'm really excited, and kinda nervous! I was trying to figure out what to post for my first entry...after some thought, I decided to to talk about how I got started as a makeup artist.

I wasn't always into makeup, especially growing up--major tomboy! I actually didn't really get into wearing makeup until I was out of college. Yes, I was a late bloomer. :-) After trying different products, mostly drugstore brands I'd pick up from Wal-Mart, I learned what colors worked best for me. I started looking at how other people did their makeup, paying particular attention to the eyeshadow, and I'd go home and practice using two or three colors I had. I went through this whole trial and error process for a while, not to mention spending a lot of money and ending up throwing away products that I didn't like (of course, now I don't throw away anything because it may be something I can use on one of my clients, although I don't like it for myself). I got pretty good at my personal application technique, and my confidence began to build when I'd go out and people would ask me, "are you a makeup artist?" Getting that question so often made me start to think this was something I could really do, so I started reading up on the subject, and practicing on myself more and more. I eventually started giving tips and doing makeovers for some of my friends and family, and word started getting around that I knew how to do makeup!

I was able to make some great connections with photographers, hair stylists and wedding planners and began getting referrals here and there. That's when I realized I needed to become "official." And so Beauty By Virtue, LLC was born. I got a friend of mine, Antonio Orsborn--great photographer and awesome graphic designer, to create a business card for me. Here's what he put together:



Handing out business cards, and with the help of friends and word of mouth advertising, I now have clients calling on me for makeovers, photo shoots, fashion shows, and weddings.

It's been a long process getting things started, and its a constant effort to keep things going. One of the cons of being a freelance makeup artist is that there are times when there is no work; but I use that time to keep practicing and trying to better myself, study and learn new techniques. So, that's the short version on how I became I makeup artist! I hope you'll come back to visit my blog. I'll be adding new post at least four times a week, and you can expect to see me talk about a range of topics from skin care, how to choose products, tips & techniques on applying makeup, how to build your personal makeup kit, and much more!!



No comments:

Post a Comment