Hola Chicas!

Welcome to my beauty blog! This is an interactive blog so please leave comments.

You can contact me directly with questions, suggestions for the blog, service inquiries via email at beautybyvirtue@gmail.com

Thanks for reading & please become a follower of this blog. :-)

Friday, February 26, 2010

SUGAR SCRUB FOR SOFT HANDS & FEET
Hola chicas! Happy Friday indeed! I sure am glad this work week is over! I have been so stressed. Last night I did one of my stress-relief activities...took a hot bubble bath (added bath salts, and stress/tension relief oil), lit candles all around the bathroom, turned the lights off and just relaxed in the tub for about 15-20 minutes. I slept like a baby! I have to go buy some more of that stress relief oil--it works wonders! I can't remember the brand name though; I'll get back to you on that for those of you who may want to try it. Anyway, about today's post...
I was looking at my hands the other day and thinking, "Wow, my hands could use some work." What I mean is they could look a lot more youthful, and be a lot smoother & softer. So I started looking online at things I could use to start conditioning them. I decided to try a homemade sugar scrub. Store bought scrubs are expensive, so I chose to make it myself! All you need it sugar & olive oil (or whatever body oil you use), and grapefruit. Grapefruit is the key ingredient and let me tell you why:
  • Natural antioxidant: Antioxidants fight off the free radicals that our skin is exposed to everyday and cause us to age quicker; this means grapefruit is detoxifying. Antioxidants also slow down the process of aging, keeping the skin looking youthful.
  • Natural exfoliator: the citric acid (which is an alpha-hydroxy) serves as an exfoliator. This loosens up dean skin cells and reveals a fresh layer of skin, making the skin softer & smoother to touch!
  • Aromatherapy: the smell of grapefruit is very uplifting, and good for easing anxiety and depression! I imagine it would be good for stress relief as well.
To make the scrub, all you do is combine the sugar, oil, & fresh squeezed grapefruit juice in a bowl. I would only do enough for one or two uses though--the remainder can go in the fridge for next time. Mix all the ingredients with a wooden spoon or spatula. You can add more sugar and/or oil until you get the mixture to the consistency you desire. Take a small handful and gently scrub your hands (both sides) for about 2-4 minutes. Rinse with cool or lukewarm water and notice the difference! Pat your hands dry with a clean towel and follow with your favorite moisturizer!
This is definitely a routine I'm going to start doing on a weekly basis. I notice a lot of women that may look young, but their hands tell their age and I don't want to be one of those women. Besides, I work in an industry where I use my hands 100% of the time so I need to give them special attention. SIDEBAR: I just broke a nail! Darn it! Oh well! Anyway chicas, hope you all have a wonderful weekend! My brother is coming to visit and I'm excited about a fun-filled weekend of hanging out with him! Until next time, take care & take charge
P.S. Don't forget to become a follower of this blog & the GIVEAWAY CONTEST is still running!! :-)

2 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I'm going to try this! Thanks for the tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta try this. Sounds like its pretty good. Thanks for the info I know I need to do my hands as dry as it is out here in CO.

    Tequila

    ReplyDelete